Counseling for Trauma
Most people will experience trauma in their lifetime whether it’s a car accident, abuse or neglect, the sudden death of a loved one, a violent criminal act, exposure to the violence of war, or a natural disaster.
While many people can recover from trauma over time with the love and support of family and friends and bounce back with resiliency, others may discover the effects of lasting trauma, which can cause a person to live with deep emotional pain, fear, confusion, or posttraumatic stress far after the event has passed.
We look at trauma from a physiological perspective. Though the events above may create dys-regulation in the body leaving you susceptible to being reactive, withdrawn, or numb, we have the understanding and proficiency to guide you back into your body so that you can process and support the body back to place of regulation.
With your expertise in your experience and our expertise with guiding people through their experiences, we work collaboratively and compassionately to assist you with developing an understanding of your body's capacity to heal through these traumatic events.
According to the four types of symptoms listed in the DSM-5-TR.
- Avoiding specific locations, sights, situations, and sounds that serve as reminders of the event
- Anxiety, depression, numbness, or guilt
- Intrusive thoughts, nightmares, or flashbacks
- Anger, irritability, and hypervigilance
- Aggressive, reckless behavior, including self-harm
- Sleep disturbances
Negative Mood and Cognition Symptoms
- Loss of interest in activities that were once considered enjoyable
- Difficulty remembering details of the distressing event
- Change in habits or behavior since the trauma
Research has proven psychotherapy to be the most effective form of treatment for trauma. Most commonly, cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT), Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing (EMDR), and Emotional Freedom Techniques (EFT/Tapping) are used in treating trauma.
If you or someone you know matches the trauma symptoms listed above, we am confident that we can help and invite you to contact us today for a free consultation.